LION + MASON were tasked to rethink how Johnson & Johnson could engage with their global 200,000+ independent retail audience to drive an increase in engagement and localised sales.
Previous “marketplace for pharmacists” had failed badly after launch with a multi-million sterling investment about to be shelved. A ‘re-design’ of the platform was considered the last roll of the dice in order to make the project work.
Before any re-design could take place, we needed to understand why Pharmacists did no want to engage.
This began by challenging the business idea of a ‘re-design’ with a proposal that ‘If it is not being used, it is not useful’.
It was important to understand the business objectives and assumptions about their audience; also to discover what their real-world challenges were for Pharmacists to validate business assumptions.
From here we strategised to align the platform to provide real value to their target audience.
We conducted pan-european, in-field research to understand real world challenges and validate the platform assumptions.
- Visited 6 territories across Europe
- Visited a variety of independent stores
- Held one-to-one interviews with owners and staff
- Conducted ride-alongs with J&J account directors
- Validated findings with further video calls with wider markets
We developed a responsive design language and applied it to the wireframes to create a completed application design.
- Prioritised user journeys
- Created a new content and product architecture
- Developed wireframe prototypes for key journeys
- Tested and validated with end users
The insight gathered helped us identify key areas and tasks that would provide value to the pharmacists.
- We produced UI design system that has since been rolled out across all J&J digital services.
- Applied UI design layer to existing wireframe prototypes that had been tested with users.
- Further validation and testing with end-users continued against set KPIs.
- Further assistance continued with client handover support with offshore teams.